We are leaving for a week long family trip this weekend! I am looking forward to a week off from work, exploring a new place, and spending quality time with my husband, his parents, and Little A. But I am also slightly stressed out…because I have to start packing for a trip with a toddler!
We have traveled with A only a handful of times since she has been born. She has been on 4 short trips, never more than 3 nights away from home. This will be our longest trip yet!
Traveling with a baby or toddler can be a challenge but it’s far from impossible. It takes some thought and planning ahead.
I am by no means an expert but I thought I would share my checklist for packing for a trip with a toddler. I hope that it might come in handy if you find yourself traveling with a baby or toddler sometime soon!
In the diaper bag:
- Changing pad and enough diapers and wipes for the drive. (We will be driving about 3 1/2 hours away from home.)
- A few snacks: we like applesauce pouches, crunchies or cereal, and rice cakes. (Usually I would pack more food for A, but we will be staying at a timeshare with a full kitchen and are going grocery shopping once we arrive. If you can get a full kitchen while traveling with a baby or toddler-do it! It’s so useful.)
- A sippy cup filled with water.
- A few small toys and books.
- Sun hat, sun block, and organic insect repellent. These things are always in our diaper bag anyway.
- Extra change of clothes and a few bibs. You never know what messes a toddler might make!
- Extra pacifiers and pacifier clips. A still uses a pacifier so this is a must for our family. (I am not ready to take it away from her, even though I know I should soon.)
In the suitcase:
- An outfit for each day away from home. We will have access to a washer and dryer on this trip, so I can do laundry as needed.
- Pajamas. Same as above.
- Two sleep sacks. A loves her sleep sack! She doesn’t have a blanket or a lovie to sleep with at night. Just her sack. Be sure to pack whatever you need to help your little one sleep away from home!
- Two swim suits, water shoes, and swim diapers. This one is a must if you are planning to take your little one to the beach or pool while away from home!
- Baby toiletries: toothbrush & toothpaste, eczema cream, baby Tylenol (A is teething again!) baby shampoo, etc.
Other miscellaneous items:
- Stroller. We have 2 strollers but I am bringing the larger one. It has a much better sunshade for A than our lightweight stroller. If you wear your baby or toddler, then don’t forget your carrier.
- Extra diapers & wipes. You can never have enough!
- A bag of new toys and books. I went shopping without A recently and picked up a few new things. I also took some of her favorite toys and hid them away. That way, I can give them all to her on vacation, and she will have new and exciting things to keep her entertained. I am going to keep these toys separate from the diaper bag toys.
So, that’s my list. Hopefully I didn’t forget anything! Now I just need fit everything I’m packing in the suitcase. And drink a glass of wine (it’s 5 o’clock somewhere, right?) because, packing for a trip with a toddler is a lot of work!
What are your must-haves for traveling with a baby or toddler?