Night time wakings are never easy. A didn’t sleep through the night for so,so long and for months I learned to function on very little sleep.
But now, she sleeps most nights and it’s wonderful. And it makes those occasional night time wakings so much harder! Last night (or this morning, depending how you look at it) she woke up at 3:30 and nothing would soothe her back to sleep.
My thought process at 3:30 am may not exactly be rational….
but it’s honest.
Here we go:
- Oh no! No. No. Nooo…
- Maybe she will go back to sleep on her own? I’ll just give her a minute or two.
- Maybe if I pretend to be sleeping, my husband will get up and check on her?
- What was I thinking? I’ll go.
- “Please, please go back to sleep. Mama loves you. See you in the morning.”
- Who am I kidding? It’s 3:30am, technically it’s already the morning.
- Stop crying. Stop crying. Stop. Crying.
- Maybe if I bring her into bed with me we can all go back to sleep? Just another hour? Please???
- How can I possibly sleep with feet in my face? Who needs sleep anyway?
- I’m going to need a lot of coffee…
Parenting in the middle of the night is a challenge, to say the least, but we all do what has to be done. I love my daughter more than anything and if she needs me at 3:30 am, then I will be there, every single time.
I can’t promise I’ll be happy about it though!